BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, May 29, 2011

5, Scott Lane


Framed by mannequin busts in gaudy crepe kurtas (pointy blonde hair) and diaphanous twirls of saris, was the entrance of Rahman stores. A magic depot of uniforms where parents would hand over chits and efficient counterboys would hand over neat stacks of shirts, full pants, half pants and blazers in navy blues, greens and whites. I remember the blue starched shirt, the brief new-shirt-smell-induced euphoria. But more than that, I remember the sweat-laced new smell that nagged me when I wore it for the first time...

When I flunked a year and had to change streams, I remember the embarrassment of visiting Oxbridge bookstore by default. But more than that, I remember the heaviness of the polytehene bag full of new books in my hand. The New Radient Readers and the complimentary bundle of Oxbridge name labels that the salesperson would always hide between books. For years I believed that it's some sort of a personal gesture. That is why I used them on my brownpapered books though they were not pre-glued and one had to wet one's hand with glue while sticking them ....

1 comments:

Runa said...

awww...reminds me of my school days. Looks like my birthday month saw some brilliant short pieces here :)