BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 11, 2006




Threptin Dadu…

Sometimes people tend to be associated with things…this holds specially true for people whose idiosyncrasies overtake their persona…
My grandfather meant a lot of things to me …but even today when I close my eyes and think about him I can smell the wonderful scent of cigarettes mixed with brylcreem and Johnson baby lotion…
Of his weird habits which were supplemented with weird things…the capstan cigarette papers that he always used…the blue packet of tobacco that he made me rush to the neighbourhood pan shops for…his aversion to certain spices (garam masala and coconut) which he insisted he was allergic to but my grandma persistently put them in her delightful curries (for she could never compromise on taste) without his knowledge…and surprise of surprises, he never was affected…his packet of threptin biscuits which he believed were the only safe biscuits to eat in this spurious goods infested market (we wud never touch that saw -dust tasting things despite of his repeated cajoling) and of course that grotesque tasting toothpaste called emoform which so much looked like a tube of shaving cream that even today I have my doubts whether my grandpa has been using shaving cream as a tooth paste all his life (that wud explain his yellowing teeth )…his firm belief that all these electronic water purifying gadgets were hogwash and the only way to get pure water was to use the contraption called zero b…

Nirmalendu Bhattacharya, my grandfather was 74 yrs old when he breathed his last breath…I didn’t get to see him alive after I bid him goodbye two years ago…
Come back Dadu, this time I will have the threptin biscuits… I promise…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post.

The Butterfly Collector said...

I can very well understand what you are going through.. I lost my Grandma 12 years ago, but i so miss her 'ant and the elephant' stories, her soft hair, her touch, her smell, her hug, her kiss, her love.. I so want her back...

NeiLDC said...

I still have my grandparents with me. Besides they are more passionate that our own parents right?

Asmi said...

Time will say nothing but I told you so,
Time only knows the price we have to pay;
If I could tell you I would let you know....